Yvette Miller ⬥ 17 June
ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé touched on several upcoming milestones of the New gTLD Program at a U.S. Chamber of Commerce meeting on June 13:
- The New gTLD Program Committee (NGCP) will wrap up its work on the GAC Communiqué by ICANN’s 47th Public Meeting in Durban, South Africa
- The first new gTLD recommended for delegation (at which point it will be sent to the team at the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) for technical preparation) will likely come in late September or early October
Read more about Mr. Chehadé’s views on the progress of ICANN (such as how the organization is internationalizing itself) here.
From June 19 to June 25, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) will host developers and worldwide service providers in Geneva, Switzerland for the Internet of Things Global Standards Initiative. This event aims to foster collaboration for technical standards for the “Internet of Things” – a term (which you can read more about here and here) that refers to physical, everyday objects (lamps, cameras, medicine) that can connect to and share data through the Internet.
The American Marketing Association (AMA) holds an online virtual event on Tuesday, June 18, 10 AM to 3 PM, on the State of Social Media in 2013. The event will cover how companies can “build and retain a solid social media presence now – and in the future.” The AMA’s 2013 Annual Conference of the Emerging Markets Conference Board, which brings together scholars from around the world for discussions on emerging markets research, will be held June 19 – 20 in Summerstrand Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
The International Trademark Association (INTA) is hosting a series of roundtables on effective management of worldwide trademark portfolios from June 17 – June 28. Locations of these events can be found here.
ICANN’s Public Comment Periods
- June 18: The ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) will meet to review and consider staff proposals for addressing overarching Safeguard advice (Annex 1, 1-6) and Restricted & Exclusive Registry policies (Category 2) from the Governmental Advisory Committee’s (GAC) Advice
- June 21: Reply period closes on ICANN’s FY14 Draft Operating Plan and Budget
- June 24: Reply period closes on the Whois Information Status Policy
- June 24: Comment period closes on the proposed renewal of .INFO gTLD Registry Agreement
- June 24: Comment period closes on the proposed renewal of .BIZ gTLD Registry Agreement
- June 25: The NGPC will meet to review and consider staff proposals on Category 1, Items 1-5, and Singular vs. Plural from the GAC’s Advice
- July 17: Comment period closes on the initial report on Protection of International Government Organizations (IGO) and International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGO) Identifiers in All gTLDs
- Mid-June: Board expected to make public its position on the GAC advice
- July 14 -18: ICANN meeting in Durban